Influencing & Negotiating Skills
This programme is designed to equip you with the knowledge and skills necessary to understand your influencing and negotiating style and to use it to your best advantage. The importance of focused communication and adopting an assertive approach to managing conflict is also highlighted.
Top 3 Learning Outcomes
- Improved confidence levels when influencing and negotiating
- Awareness of own influencing style and the important role that emotional intelligence plays in any successful influencing and negotiating process.
- Application of a range of tools and techniques, thereby ensuring a positive outcome to the process.
“Feedback from attendees at the Negotiation Skills programme was extremely positive. Mike was described as ‘open, engaging, interesting and an excellent communicator’. Each participant felt that they greatly benefited from attending the workshop and can directly apply the learning in their daily role. All attendees would highly recommend both the workshop and the facilitator.” (Fiona Keogh – Analog Devices)
Who Should Attend?
The programme is suitable for people whose roles involve negotiating, influencing and reaching an agreement with others.
Course Learning Objectives
- Define negotiation and influencing.
- Identify the key traits of a successful negotiator.
- Communicate more effectively within your circle of influence.
- Identify your preferred influencing style.
- Determine your level of Emotional Intelligence.
- Highlight the role that assertiveness plays in influencing others.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles and objectives of negotiation.
- Apply the tools and techniques necessary to become skilled at influencing, negotiating and managing conflict.
“As a buyer, I found the negotiation section of the course particularly useful. Everyone has their own styles of negotiation but it is certainly no harm to pick up tips as to how to improve. Putting yourself in the other party’s frame of mind and trying to understand where they are coming from is definitely something I have put into practice since the course. The influencing skills were also very helpful in managing requests to colleagues as well as suppliers.” (Stephen Young – Barry Group)
What is Negotiation?
- Types of Negotiation
- The Negotiation Facts of Life
- Good Negotiating Characteristics
- Types of Communication
- Active Listening
- Characteristics of Assertive Behaviour
- How to say ‘No’ Assertively
- Dealing with Aggressive Behaviour
Emotional Intelligence and Influencing Others
- Personal Brand
- How are you perceived by others?
- Different Influencing Types
- Sources of Conflict
- Different Approaches to Managing Conflict
- Developing the Collaborative ‘ Win-Win’ Approach
Negotiation Styles and Strategies
- Positional Bargaining
- Principled Negotiation
- Negotiation – a game of strategy
- The Negotiation Process
- Managing Obstacles
- Moving from Bargaining to Closing
“I found Mike’s course in ‘Influencing and Negotiating Skills’ to be well structured and informative. It has made me become more focused in my approach and has already benefited my business.” (Tricia O’Sullivan – TPlan Planning Consultants)
About the Trainer
- M.Sc in Training and Human Resource Management, University of Leicester
- B.E. Electrical Engineering, University College Cork
- Graduate Diploma in Management Studies, Institute of Commercial Management
- Focus on Training – Certificate in Training and Development, Irish Management Institute
Mike Roche has over 20 years experience in the manufacturing sector, working both in engineering and as a Learning and Development practitioner in several multinational organisations. He has held management positions in engineering and has also been a Training Manager in an FDA regulated medical device organisation.
This course can also be run as an in-company programme delivered on-site to meet your specific requirements. For more information on in-company delivery, or if you have any questions regarding this course, please Click Here.
About this Form
The purpose of this booking form is to gather profile information about participants on programmes funded by Skillnet Ireland from the National Training Fund through the Department of Education & Skills (DES). Only aggregated participant data will be reported to the DES.
As an ongoing quality control measure and to ensure the highest possible standard of training, courses may be inspected from time to time.