Project Management Professional (3 Days) (PMBOK Version 6)
Project Management Professional is designed to establish a detailed understanding of Project Management terms, concepts and methodologies. The hands-on approach of this course ensures trainees “learn by doing” and gain a step-by-step, real-time experience of using the tools and implementing the methodologies and support structures. In simulating real-life environments, trainees gather the detailed knowledge required to apply the training on return to their work environment.
The Project Management course is designed to be practical and help people apply the knowledge to the workplace. The course uses PMBOK Guide Version 6 as its reference and so helps prepare people for PMI certification.
The trainers are expert on multiple project management systems so if a specific company has questions on practical application of theory they are able to answer and give examples of how these systems are used in real life.
A soft copy of tools and PMBOK-compliant templates that participants can take away and use when they are back in the workplace are provided.
What’s in it for me?
Following completion of this programme, you will:
# Understand the purpose, inputs and outputs of the core processes in each of the five process groups: Initiating, Planning, Execution, Control and Closing.
# Learn how to Scope a Project clearly by using a Work Breakdown Structure, and how to put in place a mechanism to control any changes to the Project Scope.
# Learn about Program Governance, and how to create a Phase Gate approval system that ensures early identification of project problems.
# Learn about the 10 knowledge areas of project management (Integration, Scope, Time, Cost, Quality, Human Resources, Communications, Risk, Procurement plus Professional and Social Responsibility).
# Learn key project management techniques, together with how and when to use them. Examples of such tools and techniques include Budget, Risk Analysis, Scheduling, Gantt chart, Contingency and Change Control.
# Learn how to identify and analyse risks to your project, and place a focus on avoiding risks rather than recovering from their effect. Learn how to quickly build a Risk Register for your organisation adn how to weigh up the best response to different types of risk.
# Understand Project Management Technical Skills and Tools such as Microsoft Project Professional, methodologies such as Work Breakdown Structures, Phase Gates, Monte Carlo Simulation Analysis and a robust Project Governance system.
# Learn different techniques for estimating schedule and effort, understanding the different factors that have to be taken into account when moving from an initial estimate through to a detailed plan upon which you can make a commitment.
So what’s covered?
* Explain the basic framework of Project Management, the key process groups and how the
processes within each group interact.
* Explain the structure of the Project Management Body Of Knowledge V5.0.
* Discuss the skills required to apply PM theory to real-life projects.
* Describe an overall framework for project integration management as it relates to the other project management knowledge areas and the project life cycle.
* Explain the importance of creating a project charter to formally initiate projects.
* Understand the elements that make good project scope management important.
* Explain the scope definition process and how to construct a work breakdown structure
* Understand the importance of scope control
* Explain how to construct network diagrams and calculate Project Critical Paths and Float.
* Explain how to build a Schedule Gannt chart with activities, dependencies and milestones.
* Explain project cost management principles, concepts, and terms.
* Understand Earned Value Management and be able to apply the technique to real projects.
* Define project quality management and understand how quality standards relate to projects.
* Understand the tools and techniques for quality control, E.g. Pareto, Ishikawa, Six Sigma.
* Define project human resource management and understand its processes.
* Summarize key concepts for managing people by understanding the theories of Maslow, Herzberg, McClelland, McGregor et al on motivation, influencing becoming more effective.
* Explain how to create a stakeholder communications management plan.
* Describe various methods for distributing project information.
* Explore different qualitative and quantitative measures to analyse risk.
* Describe different methods of dealing with risks, so that project success is maximized.
*Explain the different types of contracts and when they apply.
* The processes required to identify the people, groups or organisations that could impact or be impacted by the project, to analyse stakeholder expectations and their impact on the project, and to develop appropriate management strategies for effectively engaging stakeholders in project decisions and execution.
Is this Course for me?
There are four categories of people who benefit most from this course:
A) Experienced project managers who had to learn ‘on the job’ and may not be aware of the different proven tools and techniques that exist and that can make their lives easier
B) New or prospective project managers, who are looking for guidance on the “right” way to manage their projects.
C) People who intend to get certified as a PM, and who need to complete the required training so that they can meet the certification requirements.
D) Functional Managers, who may have to manage some projects “part-time” in addition to their real jobs. Many of the PM tools and methods can also apply to line management and deliver real value.
This course is approved and audited by the Project Management Institute, and students who successfully complete this course are awarded 24 Contact Hours/Professional Development Units (PDUs) which is documented via a Certificate of Completion from Aspira.
Completion of this course also gets participants 2/3 of their way to meeting their PMP certification as well as meeting their training requirements for CAPM certification.
Please note that attendance at all 3 days is required.
About this form
The purpose of this booking form is to gather profile information about participants on programmes funded by Skillnet Ireland from the National Training Fund through the Department of Education & Skills (DES). Only aggregated participant data will be reported to the DES.
As an ongoing quality control measure and to ensure the highest possible standard of training, courses may be inspected from time to time.
If you would like to pay online, you ca do so now by clicking on the appropriate button for your membership type